Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Why I shop at Ace Hardware

"HeyBub" wrote in message

One of the towns in this area fought off, at least temporarily,
building a WalDump on a pristine, riverfront site. Wal probably
could much better afford the legal expenses, but this was a dedicated
group of people - just ordinary local folks, not an enviro. group. We
also lost a large mobile home park - nice, well-kept retiree homes
- to a chain that might be Wal. I won't shop Wal if it's the last
store on the planet. Folks can keep shopping at Wal and wondering
WTF happened to their jobs.............

And, in your first example, the purists can live in the riverfront park
because they can't afford anything else.

If you look at the cities that do not have a Walmart (Chicago, New York,
Boston, D.C., San Francisco, Baltimore, Boston, etc.), I think you'll
discover the pattern (Houston has 17 Walmarts, Las Vegas has 14).

Jobs? Last year a Walmart opened across the street from Chicago. The store
had THIRTEEN THOUSAND applicants for 300+ jobs and 70% of the applicants
had Chicago ZIP codes! Most studies show Walmart creates more jobs than
are lost - and the jobs are of equal or better employe value.

Sure, some mom and pop stores will suffer, but complaining about that is
equivalent to lamenting the demise of the buggy-whip industry because
eveybody's buying the new-fangled automobile.

Myself, I'd LOVE to be able to open a store in the same parking lot as a
Walmart - use them as an anchor sto Ice cream shop, bookstore, sandwich
shop, auto parts, wedding chapel, whatever.

I agree...Especially since Walmart and Macdonalds are the only ones making
any money now..It seems when money is tight some fall off their high horses
and buy things where their dollar buys the most..I chuckle seeing all the
Volvos , Saabs , Toyota Landrovers and SUV's packing the Walmart parking lot
theses days..Speaking of Autos , how many of you Walmart bashers drive
AMERICAN autos?? Or does your buy local American made only apply to retail
stores and hardware stores ??? I suppose Walmart is to blame for JUNK
American cars too and not the union and bad management...I suppose you all
also think the unions had nothing to do with pricing themselves out of the
market and forcing the companies over seas to compete...You guys crack me
up.....LOL....