Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Round carbide inserts - popular sources?

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 02:55:31 -0800 (PST), Max63 wrote:

Both the Hunter and the Eliminator have left me with the urge to try
out yet another member of the latest trend (after the ci1) but prices
are still a bit steep. Both sell their tips for around 20 usd while
industrial carbide inserts can be had for about a sixth of that (10
for 35$). Problem is, the industrial inserts dont seem to be that
sharp along the edge and sharpening them seems out of the question.
Im interested to hear from anyone with positive results with a DIY
tool of this sort.
thx,
Max
a possible source? http://www.carbidedepot.com/Dynamicl...ategoryID=4285

No experience with sources other than Craft Supplies and Packard Woodworking,
but for me, $20 or $25 for a replacement tip is not a bad deal..
I have the Mega Eliminator and have done several "tool abusive" projects with
it, mostly in sand-impregnated ironwood, and just put the 2nd cutter on..

I could have done 3 or 4 more projects with the original cutter, if one of the
shop cats hadn't knocked the tool off the lathe, chipping the carbide..

As to making your own tool, I'd think it would depend on what you're going to
use it for and how often..
For curved hollowing tools and simple things, it should be easy..
Personally, though I make a few of my own tools, I wouldn't try to make my own
Eliminator...
By the time I found and bought the 3/4" stainless steel for the body, learned
metal working, machined the shape and the 2 flats that maintain the shear angle
and reproduced the cutter holder, I could buy the tool and 2 extra cutters for
$200 and be turning and selling for months before needing replacements... YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing