Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] woodchips@rochester.rr.com is offline

Default Round carbide inserts - popular sources?

On Feb 22, 5:55*am, Max63 wrote:
Both the Hunter and the Eliminator have left me with the urge to try
out yet another member of the latest trend (after the ci1) but prices
are still a bit steep. Both sell their tips for around 20 usd while
industrial carbide inserts can be had for about a sixth of that (10
for 35$). Problem is, the industrial inserts dont seem to be that
sharp along the edge and sharpening them seems out of the question.
Im interested to hear from anyone with positive results with a DIY
tool of this sort.
thx,
Max
a possible source? *http://www.carbidedepot.com/Dynamicl...ategoryID=4285

Actually, sharpening carbide IS possible, with a green
wheel. It does work, and I have sharpened several
of my carbide tipped wood turning tools.

John