Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Question about a woodworking show

Han wrote:

Btw, those phrases from Robatoy are really "germanisms" (Dutch, meaning
words that are transliterated into Dutch from German, or analogous to
German). In fact they are concatenated adjectives and nouns.

My favorite (favourite) is the German phrase-in-a-word:
Eisenbahnknotenpunkthienundherschiebershauschen
"rail road intersection switch operator's little house"

Obviously, in "real" English the sequence of words would be different,
but I have kept them synchronized with the Dutch/German here. smile!

I'm sure you're aware that "fractured" Dutch and German have been a
source of humor for Americans for a long time. From childhood I remember:

peepenflapper = chick
quackenflapper = duck
honkenflapper = goose
waggenbarker = friendly dog
bitenbarker = unfriendly dog
loudenboomer = artillery shell
grosseloudenboomer = 500 lb bomb
loudenboomermiteingrosseholengroundundalleskaput = nuke
ad nausea...

I did go by Lowe's this morning to buy a piece of "top choice" 1x3x8ft
pine. I need to resaw this for edging around salvaged plywood to be
converted from relatively big doors to relatively small drawer fronts. I
have to remember that this Lowe's, like the new Home Depot, also in
Paterson off Rt 20, are in 3% sales tax zones. Regular salestax in
Jersey is 7%.

Nice drive-by but no sympathy - it's 8% here.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar