Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Question about a woodworking show

Morris Dovey wrote in news:49a04592$0$87079$815e3792
@news.qwest.net:

Robatoy wrote:

The Dutch know a thing or two about long words. To wit:

elektriciteitsproductiemaatschappij

electricity production compny
hottentottensoldatententaententoonstelling

hottentotten (South African natives) soldiers tent exhibition
potentiaalvereffeningswandcontactdoosafdekplaatje.

potential equilibration wall outlet cover plate
zandzeepsodemineraalwatersteenstralen

sand soap (expletive deleted) mineral water stone streams/rays

and my favourite:

autobandventieldopjesfabrieksdirectricesassistente suniformenknoop

car tube valve cover factory director (female) assistent's uniform button
(i.e. :
the uniform button of the assistant (female) to the director (female) of
the factory making valve cover for automobile inner tubes

Morris said in fact:
You realize, of course, that your post will stymie the DHS computers
for the next 483 years...

:0)

Morris, I agree that would be a good thing.

Btw, those phrases from Robatoy are really "germanisms" (Dutch, meaning
words that are transliterated into Dutch from German, or analogous to
German). In fact they are concatenated adjectives and nouns.

My favorite (favourite) is the German phrase-in-a-word:
Eisenbahnknotenpunkthienundherschiebershauschen
"rail road intersection switch operator's little house"

Obviously, in "real" English the sequence of words would be different,
but I have kept them synchronized with the Dutch/German here. smile!

I did go by Lowe's this morning to buy a piece of "top choice" 1x3x8ft
pine. I need to resaw this for edging around salvaged plywood to be
converted from relatively big doors to relatively small drawer fronts. I
have to remember that this Lowe's, like the new Home Depot, also in
Paterson off Rt 20, are in 3% sales tax zones. Regular salestax in
Jersey is 7%.
--
Best regards
Han