George M. Kazaka

Default Is this *real* mahogany

Hey Charles,
If you got African I can buy that all day at about 3.50 per Bd Ft,
Whereas Honduras is about 5.50 and if it 8/4 It will cost more.

Mahogany is a lot like cherry in so much It will darken with age and it does
not take to long,
I use what is called a water white acrylic lacquer that has absolutely no
color to it when i open a 5 gallon can I can see the bottom of the can and
see whatever color the can actually is.
I have been doing work for a mens Clothing store for several years now and
it has been all Mahogany and Birdseye Maple with a Clear topcoat.
Everytime I bring them something new they ask me why I didn't stain it the
same color, It is not much but noticable and I generally tell them to wait a
while.

I have a hunch the extra */4 I have in the shop is going to end-up either in
a paint job or being as how it is 8/4 it will make for a nice workbench, Nah
to much work two saw horses and a sheet of ply work just fine.

Send Me a viable e-mail address and I'll send a few pics
Good Luck, George

"Charles Bragg (no, dammit, not the painter)"
wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:20:04 -0700, "George M. Kazaka"
wrote:

Actually what you have is African Mahogany and it is usually passed off

as
Genuine Mahagony
It is a good wood but can be a bear to work with. You will also note it

is
darker and can have some black streaks going through it.

Thanks to all who replied - I think George has the best
description of what I have. I did get a lot of tear-out while planing
but put it up to my technique. I didn't say the 'fuzzy' sections were
darker (black streaks?), but they are. The weird part is that now one
of my pieces has been around for a few months, those parts are still
darker *except* for small areas where they are turning very light -
even gray - as though they had slurped up the finish and were drying
out. The only remaining questions is - does African Mahogany have the
same kind of wormholes in it that I read about for the real stuff?
FWW's recent article on Finishing Mahogany showed worm holes just like
the ones in my suspect wood.
I bought this wood by mail from a dealer recommended by
several on the wreck. Not all the wood has this problem. The 8/4 HM I
bought locally has had no problems - but it cost me three times the
mail order price. Looks like I got half lucky with mail order.

=====
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
=====
{remove curly brackets for email}