Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Thin-Kerf Blades

"MB" wrote in message
On Feb 17, 11:42 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"MB" wrote in message

I have the 40 tooth WWII. It was definitely a mistake. I am utterly
amazed at how much faster the
thin kerf 24T freud blade cuts with zero burn.

After 30 years of doing this seriousely, I'll keep my 40 thooth for 99% of
my cuts.

It might be my imagination, but I think the easier cutting contributes
to a straighter cut. If you have to
use more force, the whole blade/wood geometry gets strained which can
cause a bad cut. I've noticed this
doing a miter cut on wood hand held to the miter gauge (as opposed to
clamped to a sled).

For a typical cut the think kerf may in deed yield good results, probably
not better than a regular kerf blade, all things being equal. Start making
compound miter cuts through 2" thick stock and you will probably see the
advantage of regular kerf vs. thin.