Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y B A R R Y is offline

Default Question about a woodworking show

Larry C wrote:
I was thinking of going to the show in Western Mass this weekend. Are
there any deals to be had at these shows. Do they have special show
pricing on some items.

Just wondering if anyone knew what the deal was. pun intended

I think the Internet killed the "deal" aspect of consumer-oriented shows
long time ago. My regular visits were woodworking, flying, r/c
airplane, electronics, and recorded music shows. I used to attend such
shows and watched the "show special" morph into an everyday online price.

To me, the only reason to attend a consumer show is to fondle an item I
can't see locally or attend an instructional clinic. If I'm going
specifically to see an item, I'll contact the manufacturer in advance to
make sure I can see the item. Different woodworking shows offer widely
varying clinic opportunities. Some worthwhile clinics may cost
significant extra money compared to the entry fee. Check in advance...

The full scale airplane shows still do OK, but they're run by massive
organizations, like AOPA and EAA, and it's pretty hard to sit in the
cockpit of a new airplane over the 'net. G