Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Question about a woodworking show

I posted this review on the Nashville one, a couple months ago...

http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/
This thing travels the country most of the year and has been doing so
for a long time. I remember going, maybe 10 years ago, and being amazed
and impressed.
This time... in a word.... pretty lame. Ok two words. Anyway.....

If you have to drive far (probably too late for those already driving...
sorry), don't bother. If you're in Nashville, since college football is
over, and you have 6-9 bucks to spare, check it out. Juts don't hold
your breath waiting to be floored.

Peachtree Woodworking Supply out of Atlanta basically has half the
floorspace, displaying the same stuff you see in their catalogs..... and
everyone else's.... which is great if you're looking to stock up on all
that woodworking nuts-n-bolts stuff and save yourself a bunch of shipping.

If it weren't for our local Woodcraft store's presence, there would've
been virtually no power tools at the show. And these guys were thinking
of not even participating this year. They saved the show from bordering
on being a complete joke, in my book.

Notable exception.... and quite possibly worth the price of admission
and travel, alone. This guy:
http://www.stockroomsupply.com/V_Drum_Sander.php
This uniquely designed drum sander is nothing short of amazing and must
be seen to be fully appreciated.

Final word...
for the most part, this show has become at best, disappointing, at
worst, a real joke. Most of the products you would expect to see at a
woodworking show are absent. Maybe it's a case of the manufacturers not
seeing a profitable market in Nashville. Maybe all the cool tools and
new, exciting technologies show up in the bigger markets. Man, I sure
hope so....

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--