Posted to rec.woodworking
MB MB is offline

Default Thin-Kerf Blades

On Feb 17, 11:42*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"MB" wrote in message

I have an old delta contractor's saw. I have a WWII 0.125" kerf blade.
The cut has a lot of burning and drag when used on thick lumber (which
of course includes bevel cuts on 3/4" stock). I bought a freud thin
kerf 24 tooth rip blade specifically for ripping. Maybe the cut *of
the Freud isn't polished smooth, but it flies thru the wood with zero
burning. Being lazy, I frequently use the rip blade for cross cutting
when a small amount of tear out is tolerable. I only use the WWII for
plywood and 3/4" stock or thinner. If I had to do it over, I'd try the
WWII thin kerf with 30 teeth.

Which particular WWII were you using, the 30 or 40 tooth count blade. *The
30 count is recommended for cuts in stock 2" or thicker.

I have the 40 tooth WWII. It was definitely a mistake. I am utterly
amazed at how much faster the
thin kerf 24T freud blade cuts with zero burn.

It might be my imagination, but I think the easier cutting contributes
to a straighter cut. If you have to
use more force, the whole blade/wood geometry gets strained which can
cause a bad cut. I've noticed this
doing a miter cut on wood hand held to the miter gauge (as opposed to
clamped to a sled).

Mitch