IMM

Default Opposite of radiators... and more

"gandalf" wrote in message

"Brian Reay" wrote in message

"Davey" wrote in message

A popular solution in the US (where not everyone has air conditioning)

is a
'whole house fan'. This is a BIG fan, maybe 2' in diameter which is

located
in the upstairs ceiling and vents into the loft. In hot weather it

draws
air in downstairs and blows the hot air out via the loft, which is also
cooled which, in turn, helps keep the house cooler.

Based on the cooling effect I get buy opening roof (velux) windows and a
downstairs window this approach is worth trying.

-----------
Gophers apply a similar but more sophisticated technique. They ensure that
entry/exit points to their underground home are at different heights. Any

breeze
causes an air circulation within the tunnel system and both cools and

purges it.
Pretty cunning for something that is supposed to be dumb. Humans also

latched on
to this trick in the days before air-conditioning. Hence the small towers

on
Arab houses. I'm sure many throughout Asia also applied this.

Georgian windows are supposed to go right up to ceiling height. Pull upper
sash down and lower one up and instant circulation with the hot risen air
floating outside and the cooler air dropping in via the bottom sash. Great
design.

---