Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Thin-Kerf Blades

Jerome Meekings wrote:
Leon wrote:

I guess another big advantage to using a 1/8" kerf blade is during
lay out planning. It is pretty easy to figure an additional 1/8"
here and an additional 1/8" there when trying to determine if you
can get so many pieces out of a piece of wood while ripping. The
typical 3/32" kerf almost requires the use of a calculator. 7/64"
here and there and here again would be a royal PIA. I mean what
does 1.25" plus 1.25" plus 1.25", plus 1.25" plus 7/64" plus 7/64"
plus 7/64" add up to? If the blade was 1/8" kerf the answer would
be 5-3/8", yes that S4S 1 x 6 will work.
Fortunately my software takes that all into consideration but if you
only need to cut a few pieces from a single board out of a stack of
various width boards, let me stick with 1/8"

If you went metric it would do away with those problems and you could

Yeah, making it 3.175 millimeters is going to be a BIG help.