Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default E-85 in a non-E-85 engine?

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
I've never heard of this, but then we've never needed to have emissions
tests around here.

I don't know if you meant isopropyl alcohol or not, but the common
grocery/drug store rubbing alcohol is isopropyl, and was often available
in more than one concentration.
Lately, all I've been able to find is 50%, but for many years, 90-92% was
readily available too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol

I don't put it in fuel, but it's a fairly decent cleaning solvent for
lightly soiled parts, and also a good additive to a water & liquid
detergent/soap mixture, to make a very effective general purpose cleaner.
I use a potion of about 66% water, 34% alcohol and very little liquid soap
(maybe 10 drops per pint) in a trigger spray bottle, for most things..
from my glasses lenses to plastic or painted equipment cabinets, and most
other things that don't require anything harsher.

--
WB

Ask your pharmacist. Where I live, we can get 98% by asking for it (I use it
for cleaning old photographic film), but it's not out on the aisles.

--
Ed Huntress

97% out on the rack at the local Wally World. It gets added to the blend
we use to clean our air packs and gear. I ran out one time and used some
Ever Clear I had "on hand". The crew all smelled like they just hit a
brewery fire after that!.

(Ever Clear is basically a 98% alcohol Vodka, one shot is enough to put
a normal human into alcohol poisoning range)

--
Steve W.