bob

Default Is this *real* mahogany

Home Depot was selling some crap wood under the name "Aspen" that does this
same thing. You can sand the hell out of it, and it stays fuzzy. I took a
load of it back for a refund - after I'd cut it to size and started sanding.
Told then it was unusable, even painted. They took it back.

I've been buying "genuine mahogany" from a company that claims it comes from
managed forests in South America. It's great wood, works easy, finishes
great and it's cheaper than poplar or oak, if you're willing to buy it by
the bundle.

Bob

"Charles Bragg (no, dammit, not the painter)"
wrote in message
I have what was sold as Honduran mahogany and it looks like it
to me. What is bothersome is that parts of my boards refuse to be
smooth..... I can sand (to 220, which is what I read is the max
useful for mahogany) or scrape as much as I want and still there are
these parts, typically an inch wide and between 6-12 inches long, that
remain fuzzy. They don't "tear out" so much as just look fuzzy. A few
months after finishing them with oil and shellac, those parts look as
if they have sucked up all the finish and some are beginning to
lighten up - a blond streak in brown hair, so to speak.

So, it this the behavior of some wood other than HM? Or is it
sapwood? Or is it my bad finishing technique? ?? ??

Thanx

=====
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
=====
{remove curly brackets for email}