Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave in Houston[_2_] Dave in Houston[_2_] is offline

Default Thin-Kerf Blades

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

"henry" wrote in message
On my delta contract saw with forest blade, besides adding link belt I
wired it for 220 and made all the difference in the world ripping
think hardwood. No more blown circuits etc.

My 12+ year old JET contractor began popping the reset button on the
motor even when cutting plywood, much more so ripping 2Xs. After 12
years of running it on 115v I finally wired it for 240v. It hasn't
tripped since. Additionally, I put the 24t thin-kerf rip blade back (vs.
the Jesada 50t General) on (sans stabilizers) just to rip a bunch of 2X..
The lack of stabilizers was noticeable in the cut quality.

Dave in Houston

Could it be that the windings that were used at 120V were damaged from 12
years of use and the windings used ay 240V are still good?
IMO, there is no doubt that then kerf blade uses less energy. Also, my
experience is that a rip blade uses less energy than my WWII.
I carelessly let sawdust plug the ventilation slots on my motor and while
ripping the posts on a pencil post bed, damaged my motor. Maybe I will put
it back to 120V to see if it makes a difference.
I'm thinking about putting a 2hp motor I salvaged from a compressor that I
had and see how it runs on my Delta CS.

I hope not. I took the motor to a small electric motor shop here in
northwest Houston to have him go through it.

Dave in Houston