Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Thin-Kerf Blades

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
"Perry Aynum" wrote in message
news |I was at my least favorite store today - the orange one. They have 10"
TS
| saw blades, and some say "thin kerf".
|
| But are they realy thin kerf, or is that just marketing hype? None of
them
| list their actual thickness, so I am little skeptical about buying one
| unless I know that it really thin kerf. When I stack one against a
regular
| blade, they seem pretty much the same to me.

If you were in the same brand of orange store I frequent when I'm
desperate,
they have many rulers and other measuring devices hanging on pegs near
the
saw blades. A "standard" blade has a kerf around 1/8" and you should be
able to at least eyeball how much less any particular blade is than that.

Norm

According to the Fine Woodworking article referenced earlier, a typical
kerf would be just a hair over 1/8" and a thin kerf could be about 7/64"

I guess another big advantage to using a 1/8" kerf blade is during lay out
planning. It is pretty easy to figure an additional 1/8" here and an
additional 1/8" there when trying to determine if you can get so many pieces
out of a piece of wood while ripping. The typical 3/32" kerf almost
requires the use of a calculator. 7/64" here and there and here again would
be a royal PIA. I mean what does 1.25" plus 1.25" plus 1.25", plus 1.25"
plus 7/64" plus 7/64" plus 7/64" add up to? If the blade was 1/8" kerf the
answer would be 5-3/8", yes that S4S 1 x 6 will work.
Fortunately my software takes that all into consideration but if you only
need to cut a few pieces from a single board out of a stack of various
width boards, let me stick with 1/8"