Posted to rec.woodworking
Dick Snyder[_4_] Dick Snyder[_4_] is offline

Default Thin-Kerf Blades

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
"Perry Aynum" wrote in message
news |I was at my least favorite store today - the orange one. They have 10"
TS
| saw blades, and some say "thin kerf".
|
| But are they realy thin kerf, or is that just marketing hype? None of
them
| list their actual thickness, so I am little skeptical about buying one
| unless I know that it really thin kerf. When I stack one against a
regular
| blade, they seem pretty much the same to me.

If you were in the same brand of orange store I frequent when I'm
desperate,
they have many rulers and other measuring devices hanging on pegs near the
saw blades. A "standard" blade has a kerf around 1/8" and you should be
able to at least eyeball how much less any particular blade is than that.

Norm

According to the Fine Woodworking article referenced earlier, a typical kerf
would be just a hair over 1/8" and a thin kerf could be about 7/64"