Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Some recent work

On Feb 17, 2:35*pm, wrote:
On Feb 17, 12:39 pm, "Leon" wrote:

wrote in message

Snip

The first time I used them exposed like that was the box that sold the
fastest, so people don't seem to mind. *You don't see it when it's
closed, and they are so functional. *I don't do it on every box, but
it's definitely something I will keep doing and probably more often
than not.

-Kevin

I will admit, my wife got one of the jewelry chests that I built and I sold
the other before it was finished for $1,200.00. * I really don't think that
I could have gotten that amount with mechanical slides.

It's something I just never see anyone else do, but I do think there
is a market there if you explain the benefits of them. *Won't be any
woodworkers buying them, but they wouldn't be buying them anyway.

Which woodworker could possibly afford one of those? :-}

And speaking of prices, that's an area I am always uncomfortable
with. *

Yup, that's my dilemma these days. I'm doing some artsy-fartsy things
with my router and people pick up one of my sculpted maple leaves and
want one..but then I'm at a loss. To me, it is truly waste/scrap with
15 minutes of machining time. So $ 60.00 it is, each. Then I get a
call from the Legion, they want to decorate 50 soldiers' graves with
them... then I can't, with a clear conscience, ask them for that much.
BUT.. if I tell them, say $ 15.00 each, and the rest of the country
orders 5000 of them, all other projects stop and I have to make
money.... quite a dilemma. Now it's no longer scrap either. What to
do, what to do.

Usually I am selling online, but the last two are going to a
gallery so I feel a little more freedom to ask a fair price, and need
one since I am giving up 40% instead of around 15%. *Anyone want to
take a stab at pricing any of the three? *I realize I haven't given
dimensions, the second two are around 20" wide, the first one is
around 16" tall and wide at the extremes.

-Kevin