Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] sligoNoSPAMjoe@hotmail.com is offline

Default Water Hammer In Kitchen Faucet

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 09:14:03 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello,

Have the typical single-handle Delta faucet in our kitchen.

Has recently in the last few weeks developed a water hammer when turning it
such that the cold water is put on.
Water hammer only when turning on.

So, I replaced the two springs and rubber "top-hat" gaskets in the faucet
that contact the ball.

Still have the water hammer.

Any thoughts on what might be the problem, and what to do about it other
than replacing the faucet with a new one ?

Thanks,
Bob

From the description it does not sound like water hammer. I
would take a look at the cold water supply from the connection to the
faucet to the main supply. Look for a loose or missing support.

Try holding on to both the hot and cold water supplies under
the skin while someone turns the cold and the hot on and off. Follow
the vibration or the pipe to the source. You will likely find a loose
hanger or some sort of mechanical defect.

If it is water hammer replacing parts of the faucet will
not help, you need an arrestor or to dry out the one you have, but
that you should only hear when you turn OFF the water not when you
turn it on.