Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Hammer In Kitchen Faucet

Hello,

Have the typical single-handle Delta faucet in our kitchen.

Has recently in the last few weeks developed a water hammer when turning it
such that the cold water is put on.
Water hammer only when turning on.

So, I replaced the two springs and rubber "top-hat" gaskets in the faucet
that contact the ball.

Still have the water hammer.

Any thoughts on what might be the problem, and what to do about it other
than replacing the faucet with a new one ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 09:14:03 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello,

Have the typical single-handle Delta faucet in our kitchen.

Has recently in the last few weeks developed a water hammer when turning it
such that the cold water is put on.
Water hammer only when turning on.

So, I replaced the two springs and rubber "top-hat" gaskets in the faucet
that contact the ball.

Still have the water hammer.

Any thoughts on what might be the problem, and what to do about it other
than replacing the faucet with a new one ?

Thanks,
Bob

From the description it does not sound like water hammer. I
would take a look at the cold water supply from the connection to the
faucet to the main supply. Look for a loose or missing support.

Try holding on to both the hot and cold water supplies under
the skin while someone turns the cold and the hot on and off. Follow
the vibration or the pipe to the source. You will likely find a loose
hanger or some sort of mechanical defect.

If it is water hammer replacing parts of the faucet will
not help, you need an arrestor or to dry out the one you have, but
that you should only hear when you turn OFF the water not when you
turn it on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello,

Have the typical single-handle Delta faucet in our kitchen.

Has recently in the last few weeks developed a water hammer when turning
it such that the cold water is put on.
Water hammer only when turning on.

So, I replaced the two springs and rubber "top-hat" gaskets in the faucet
that contact the ball.

Still have the water hammer.

Any thoughts on what might be the problem, and what to do about it other
than replacing the faucet with a new one ?

Thanks,
Bob

Search this group..Just type in water hammer and you will get your answer as
it has been covered MANY times including just recently....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Have the typical single-handle Delta faucet in our kitchen.

Has recently in the last few weeks developed a water hammer when turning it
such that the cold water is put on.
Water hammer only when turning on.

So, I replaced the two springs and rubber "top-hat" gaskets in the faucet
that contact the ball.

Still have the water hammer.

Any thoughts on what might be the problem, and what to do about it other
than replacing the faucet with a new one ?

Thanks,
Bob

I have a similar problem with a 4 month old LDR washerless double handle
model 012 3400 Kitchen faucet with spray.

http://www.ldrind.com/Index.html

The hammer in this case is in the spout diverter valve as may be for the OP.

If hot or cold water is turned on water flow through the spout is
interrupted as the faucet goes thump thump.

When the spray is pressed and hot or cold water is turned on there is
one small thump and the water flows freely through the spray.

Removing the spout and manually plugging the top and rear hole in the
spout pipe, no thump.

LDR does not list a replacement diverter valve for a kitchen faucet, IMO
there must be one in there.

Alex,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 9:14*am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello,

Have the typical single-handle Delta faucet in our kitchen.

Has recently in the last few weeks developed a water hammer when turning it
such that the cold water is put on.
Water hammer only when turning on.

So, I replaced the two springs and rubber "top-hat" gaskets in the faucet
that contact the ball.

Still have the water hammer.

Any thoughts on what might be the problem, and what to do about it other
than replacing the faucet with a new one ?

Thanks,
Bob

Problem may not be in the faucet. The cutoff valve under the sink may
be the culprit. First make sure the valve is turned all the way on and
see if this fixes it. They should be all the way open or closed, never
in between. I had a water ammer problem that drove me nuts for nearly
a year and found there was a valve hidden in the wall. The hammering
started any time the water down stream from the valve was turned on.
The noise didnt sound like it was coming from anywhere near the valve.
The only way I found it was with the help of a neighbor who was there
when the house was built and he remembered the valve in the wall.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks Jimmie...Google search brought me here. After dealing with water hammer in one bathroom faucet for over a year, I just realized the valve was only on about a quarter turn. With it all the way open/on, problem solved.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Thanks Jimmie...Google search brought me here. After dealing with water
hammer in one bathroom faucet for over a year, I just realized the valve
was only on about a quarter turn. With it all the way open/on, problem solved.

Depending on the type of valve in question, if you have opened it all the
way, you should now close it about 1/8 of a turn, maybe less.

You want to have some play in both directions. If the valve is fully open
up against the stop and it jams up due to corrosion, you may have trouble
closing it. The best practice is to open a valve all the way and then close
it slightly, maybe 1/8 of it's full travel, to ensure a little play to the
open side.

This applies to most gate valves and angle stops, not necessarily ball
valves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:14:03 AM UTC-8, Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Have the typical single-handle Delta faucet in our kitchen.

Has recently in the last few weeks developed a water hammer when turning it
such that the cold water is put on.
Water hammer only when turning on.

So, I replaced the two springs and rubber "top-hat" gaskets in the faucet
that contact the ball.

Still have the water hammer.

Any thoughts on what might be the problem, and what to do about it other
than replacing the faucet with a new one ?

Thanks,
Bob

Do you have a water pressure regulator on your house water supply line and has it stopped functioning and do you know what the water pressure for your house is?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08-30-2013 12:10, DerbyDad03 wrote:
You want to have some play in both directions. If the valve is fully open
up against the stop and it jams up due to corrosion, you may have trouble
closing it. The best practice is to open a valve all the way and then close

Or due to the water flow changing the temperature of the parts and
therefore their size.

--
Wes Groleau

€œIt is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it
goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the
world.€
€” Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Do you have a water pressure regulator on your house water supply line and has it stopped functioning and do you know what the water pressure for your house is?
Yes, but if it was the water pressure regulator popping open and shaking the pipes when the water pressure in the house dropped, wouldn't that happen when drawing both hot and cold water, and with every other faucet in the house as well; including the toilet ballcock opening to flow when you flushed the toilet?

Why would it only happen when opening the kitchen sink faucet to draw cold water?

If it were me, I would buy a "mechanic's stethoscope" for about $15 at any place that sells mechanic's tools.

http://www.americantechnology.co.uk/...4006-120-p.jpg

Touch the steel probe of the stethoscope to the cold supply line while a helper opens the faucet and confirm that the noise is coming from the cold water pipes, and not actually from the hot water supply piping.

I'm wondering if you have crossflow through that faucet, and by opening the faucet to draw cold water, you're shutting off the flow of hot water through the faucet body, and THAT's what's causing the water hammer in the hot water supply piping?

With the mechanic's stethoscope, you can move upstream of the faucet to hopefully find the section of pipe that's moving and bouncing off the nearby studs or drywall, and secure it better. For $15, it's a very handy tool to have.

Last edited by nestork : August 31st 13 at 08:08 AM

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Robert11, Johny c one lately wrote:
I realize this is old! But this thread lead me to the conclusion.
It is air in the side sprayer hose causing the diverter to quickly surge to
the hand sprayer while the air inside the hose is compressed to equal the.
water pressure. I had this same problem, one of the responses nearly had it.
Release the air from the sprayer and problem solved.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...et-360025-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
MJK MJK is offline

replying to Johny c one lately, MJK wrote:
How did you release the air from the sprayer? We're having the same problem!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...et-360025-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 24, 2017 at 12:44:06 PM UTC-5, MJK wrote:
replying to Johny c one lately, MJK wrote:
How did you release the air from the sprayer? We're having the same problem!

--

Just activate the sprayer for 15 secs and let the water run full on. That may not be your problem though.