Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] LEGEND65@yahoo.com is offline

Default Some recent work

On Feb 17, 10:16 am, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Feb 17, 9:54 am, "Leon" wrote:

Holy shiat... good eye, Leon. And a good point. I didn't even notice
them the first time around, now they stand out like a sore slide.
Yup, they got to go.

*slaps forehead wondering why I didn't see them before....*

Thank you for making my point

But in all fairness, the boxes are top rate. I guess I quickly noticed
because I built 2 jewelry chests about a year ago and all 26 drawers had the
sliding dado's for slides.

Now Kevin did mention that he liked the drawers coming "all" the way out
however he is obviously capable of building to tolerances close enough that
the sliding dado would allow the drawers to be pulled out enough that the
drawer backs would be fully visible. Basically my drawers will open far
enough that only the 1/2" thick drawer back is still inside the cabinet.

I typically make the back 1/4", which with the ply bottom glued in is
plenty strong. I often like to have the top drawer close to the top
of the box (sometimes I avoid any cross grain situation with the top
and I need no further structure at the top of the box), which can
often overhang the box a fair bit. It's not so much the access to the
other drawers that is a problem, but the top drawer usually the back
inch or more is impossible to get to without pulling out the drawer,
and if you only have 6-7 inches of drawer to start with that is a
lot. I also have concerns that if the drawers are getting pulled
out so that they are almost out and then left hanging there, that's
putting a lot of wear on the back end of the drawer slide groove and
the front of the drawer slide. Plus there's a bit of slop necessary
to account for expansion/ contraction and any possible light warping.
I could fit them tight if I wanted to, but I am shipping these all
over the country so I feel I have to leave a bit more slop than I
would like to make sure they remain operational. With the metal
slides I don't have to worry about it, or have the customer do any
maintenance to wax a wood slide.

-Kevin