Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Thin-Kerf Blades

"scritch" wrote in message

Fine Woodworking also said that the quality of cut depends on the general
quality of brand. Thus, I would expect a Forrest blade would yield better
results than those sold at the "orange" store. Given that, the thin-kerf
blades are a good option for the huge population of us wood-butchers that
haven't been able to afford expensive cabinet saws.

Scritch

Actually you do not need a cabinet saw to get better results from a regular
kerf blade. I used thin kerf up until about 1988 on a 1 hp Craftsman TS. I
was not very happy with the flatness of the cuts that I was getting and I
was getting burn marks on some cuts. My local sharpening service suggested
switching to a Systematic regular kerf combo blade. I was very skeptical
but he promised that I would not be disappointed. I never looked back. I
continued to use "that" regular kerf blade until I upgraded to a cabinet saw
about 12 years later.

With all this in mind and with any blade, proper saw set up is essential to
good results.