Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.scooter,alt.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles.tech
S'mee S'mee is offline

Default Scooter Soldering Kit Battery

On Feb 15, 11:24*am, "ian field"
wrote:
"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote in message
.. .

I wanna know if I can hot wire my scooter battery to a regular
12v/60w soldering iron to do local soldering repairs without going to the
other fuel/chemical bonding methods for safety ????

I know most soldering kits, you buy or build, usually require a
standard wall socket 120v/60w soldering iron and some 4AA batteries.....

So I was wondering what would happen if I used a 12volt SLA 8 amp
battery, since the wall outlet is a about 90watts and the 12volt SLA
battery
is also some 96 watts although it drops quickly to an easy 11 volts
because
of a burned cell I'm guessing....

The math is there but some other factor is missing, I can't see the
power of a 12volt SLA battery to a mere 4 AAs ...........has anybody ever
tried this with a regular soldering iron for outdoor use???
--
Triad Productions-FantallaŽ~EZine~ParaNovel
National Association of Assault Research

I know many people have told the OP to get a Butane soldering iorn, but I
think the OP may be confused about one is. He probably thinks you mean a
pencil torch, not an actual butane soldering iorn with a tip and all.

The confusion is entirely understandable as many pencil blowtorches come
with a soldering attachment and some butane soldering irons come with a
blowtorch fitting.

The soldering iron kits usually cost more than pencil blowtorches so I'd
hope they work better than the soldering attachment that came with the
pencil blowtorch I have.

I can only offer one data point. I bought an Archer branded butane
soldering iron 20 years ago from Radio Shack. It still works fine, yes
you pay attention to where the exhaust is pointed...but like soldering
it is just a matter of paying attention to what is going on. shrug I
dunno, people have told me they don't work well but I just keep using
it and turning out decent work for what I do.

I am certain there are better ones available now.
--
keith