Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick Lew Hartswick is offline

Default Soft jaws for Clausing 5914 lathe?

Karl Townsend wrote:
Joe Gwinn
I just made a set out of 6061 Al at school on Thur. Havent
used them yet but need them to hold some threads without
"buggering" them up. Havent figured out how to hold the
jaws in compression while threading all the way through
the soft jaws yet.
...lew...

In such a case, I like the jaws to project inward, beyond the surface of the
master jaw. Grip your spider (or piece of stock) on the master jaw,
allowing full access to the soft jaw. Works fine, Lew.

I had a project where I had to make four inch high jaws and the part
had to fit down inside the chuck (NMTB tool holder). So I drilled and
tapped 1/4 20 holes in the top of the jaws. Then a plate to bolt on. I
liked this method so well that i made a special plate to fit all sizes
with spiral slots and now I always bore my jaws this way.

Karl

Karl I don't see that in my head. Can you post a pix somewhere of
that?
I want to hold a long piece of all-thread and work the end / cut off
thread out and repeat so there is no place to put a support to clamp
on. I'm thinking three small pieces sort of between the corners of
the jaws.
Harold, I'm not sure exactly what your describing but "maybe" a
sacrificial piece that the the master jaws clamp on before the
soft ones touch that I can then drill through and tap then remove????
Yes??
Thanks.
...lew...