Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default Soft jaws for Clausing 5914 lathe?

"Wes" wrote in message
"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

They're easy to make if you have a mill, Joe. I've never purchased soft
jaws in my life! The best choice is mild steel, so the jaw can be rebuilt
by adding new metal after they're served a long and useful life.

I'm assuming you mean welding them up. I got to mention that to our
engineers. I have a
feeling we just make new ones.

Wes

Yes, by welding, Wes. I've done that on many occasions. The only concern is
getting them similar in weight and orientation so they remain balanced.
I'm still using one set of jaws that started life in my shop in 1967!

Harold