Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick Lew Hartswick is offline

Default Soft jaws for Clausing 5914 lathe?

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I'd like to get some soft jaws for the 3-jaw chuck on the Clausing 5914
lathe. This appears to be the chuck that came with the lathe. The jaws
are two-piece, and can be removed and installed the other way.

The chuck body is marked "BP71/6206", and is 8" in diameter.

Apparently these jaws are the "American standard tongue-and-groove"
type. The lengthwise groove is 0.31" wide, the crosswise tongue is
0.501 wide, and the centers of the screw holes are 1.75" apart.

There seem to be a lot of people making chuck jaws, none of whichg I
know anything about.

What sources/makes are good, are bad, and why?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

I just made a set out of 6061 Al at school on Thur. Havent
used them yet but need them to hold some threads without
"buggering" them up. Havent figured out how to hold the
jaws in compression while threading all the way through
the soft jaws yet.
...lew...