Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Weisgram[_2_] Jim Weisgram[_2_] is offline

Default Cedar and galvanized nails

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 23:42:18 GMT, Chuck wrote:

Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood. Someone has
suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction. This will be used on
the outside of my house with a good coat of latex paint covering it. Tks. Chuck

Well, McFeeley's is in the business of selling stainless steel nails,
so they might be a bit overselling, but here's a link that claims hot
dip galvanized nails aren't the best option with Western Red cedar:

http://www.mcfeelys.com/stainless-nails

On the other hand, the Cedar Shake & Shingle Bureau recommends
stainless, hot-dipped zinc, or aluminum nails.

http://www.cedarbureau.org/installat...ual/page05.htm

Suffice to say, the coating on a galvanized nail might fail and might
stain, while stainless will not.

If you go with galvanized, get double hot-dipped nails, which should
eliminate defects in the coating that will stain.

Jim