Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default Soft jaws for Clausing 5914 lathe?

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
I'd like to get some soft jaws for the 3-jaw chuck on the Clausing 5914
lathe. This appears to be the chuck that came with the lathe. The jaws
are two-piece, and can be removed and installed the other way.

The chuck body is marked "BP71/6206", and is 8" in diameter.

Apparently these jaws are the "American standard tongue-and-groove"
type. The lengthwise groove is 0.31" wide, the crosswise tongue is
0.501 wide, and the centers of the screw holes are 1.75" apart.

There seem to be a lot of people making chuck jaws, none of whichg I
know anything about.

What sources/makes are good, are bad, and why?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

They're easy to make if you have a mill, Joe. I've never purchased soft
jaws in my life! The best choice is mild steel, so the jaw can be rebuilt
by adding new metal after they're served a long and useful life. I have
also used both 7075-T6 and 6061-T6 aluminum.

Harold

Harold