Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bruce[_4_] Bruce[_4_] is offline

Default Is angle iron adequate for lintel?

rmike wrote:

On Feb 12, 9:17*pm, Bruce wrote:

Rolled steel angles go up to 200 x 200mm by 20mm. *A pair of those will
be more than enough to span 3.6m (12 feet) and hold up a wall and joists
above. *In fact they would support several storeys.

Well, this is more like 5mm. Does that make it angel iron rather than
rolled steel angle?

"Angle iron" is a nickname.

It's probably still a rolled steel angle (the correct term), just a
small one. I've seen them as small as 25 x 25 x 3. Smaller ones are
bent from steel sheet, but I don't know what the proper name for those
is. Possibly angle iron? ;-)

As for "angel iron", I think you'd be on a wing and a prayer. ;-)