Charles Bragg

Default Is this *real* mahogany

I have what was sold as Honduran mahogany and it looks like it
to me. What is bothersome is that parts of my boards refuse to be
smooth..... I can sand (to 220, which is what I read is the max
useful for mahogany) or scrape as much as I want and still there are
these parts, typically an inch wide and between 6-12 inches long, that
remain fuzzy. They don't "tear out" so much as just look fuzzy. A few
months after finishing them with oil and shellac, those parts look as
if they have sucked up all the finish and some are beginning to
lighten up - a blond streak in brown hair, so to speak.

So, it this the behavior of some wood other than HM? Or is it
sapwood? Or is it my bad finishing technique? ?? ??

Thanx

=====
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
=====
{remove curly brackets for email}