Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
flash flash is offline

Default Band Saw VS Chop Saw

"BobH" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
However as all people do I have begun to wonder if a band
saw might do a better job for some things. I don't think I would use my
vertical band saw for this, but rather invest in one designed to work in
place of a chop saw. I have heard lots of folks say it's the way to go
for
cutting steel, but my own personal experience tends to make me wonder.
I've
only watched folks cut steel with a band saw a couple times, and its been
long time ago, but on bigger pieces it seemed to me that it tended to
walk
off to one side and make an angled cut instead of cutting straight
through.
What am I missing? Is it worth it? The base models from the import
stores
seems to cost the same as a good quality name brand chop saw and go up
from
there.

I want straight cuts, and I would like to not have to spend as much time
doing clean up on the cuts. I'm also considering a tounrey blade in a
miter
saw for some things, but I am concerned about the listed RPM ranges.

I started with a chop saw and have completely gone over to band saws.

I have an ancient Rockwell 14" vertical bandsaw that would not cut
straight for anything. The blade gudes were brass blocks that were badly
worn and one holder was cracked. I replaced the block gudes with roller
bearing guides and then set them up snug. It cuts very straight now and I
have no issues with it. A vertical bandsaw will not replace a chopsaw
because of the throat depth limitations, but is still really useful for
metalwork.

I do a lot of tube fabrication work and mitering on a chop saw is a pain.
I built a miter stand for a Portaband saw and it has covered every need.
Bandsaws are quieter so I can work early in the morning without
antagonizing my wife or neigbors. The kerf width on a bandsaw is much
narrower and more repeatable than a chopsaw which makes layout much
faster. The bandsaw does not spit out a huge fan of hot sparks, so I can
use it inside. I can cut aluminum on the bandsaw without a special blade.

The main think I have used the chopsaw for since getting the portaband is
lending to friends who need to cut something up.

Good Luck
BobH

If you want a bandsaw for metal, the bigger the better. That is, large
throat, big wheeels, and a blade that is long, thick, and WIDE as well.

The shop I worked in until '05 had a 36" throat bandsaw which used a blade
1" wide (would handle bigger), and ran slow enough to keep the blade from
heating significantly. It cut 2" square tool-shanks like ther were pine
wood. We roughed out bits for brazed carbide on the saw quicker than we
could ever on a grinder. Blade-guides were rolers, and always properly set.
Cuts were true and seldom veered, unless somebody stripped a few teeth.
Blades were pricey, but Starret, Lenox, etc were good and durable, and
cost-effective in our usage.

Flash

(Makes the 14" Craftsman in my garage look like a model bandsaw.)