Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Band Saw VS Chop Saw

Pete C. wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:

(...)

Yep. I am considering a Tounrey blade in a 12" mitre saw for some things,
but they seem to spec to spin a lot slower than the average mitre saw or
chop saw.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassman.com

Those blades are for use in the dry cut metal saws, not normal high RPM
mitre saws. The dry cut saws are geared down a good deal. They are an
intermediate level metal cutting chop saw, between the cheap abrasive
chop saws and the expensive cold saws.

I bought a Makita LC1230 dry saw for U$470 about five years back.
It cuts dead - straight through steel tube, angle or bar in 'chop' or
'miter' mode at 1300 RPM.

It's faster than an abrasive saw and doesn't produce smoke.
Even works on wood and aluminum!

Here's one for a buck less than I paid:
http://www.cpomakita.com/saws/metal_...rooglelc1230-r

The 60T factory blades last a long time but I use the cheapo 40T brand anyway.
I toss them when they chip more than 10% of their teeth.
At U$15 each, they are a bargain, even if you do have to install
the arbor spacer sleeve (included).
eBay 280269012294

Swapping blades is a little awkward, but can still be done inside a
minute or so.

Avoid tooth counts much above 60T on the blades. I found the 80T and
100T blades tended to just skip over the workpiece rather than cut it.

My only regret is that I didn't buy the saw 20 years earlier.

--Winston

--

I'm still waiting for another sublime, transcendent flash of adequacy.