Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett Ed Sirett is offline

Default Replacing like for like gas hob technically illegal?

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 01:23:45 +0000, YAPH wrote:

On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 23:28:42 +0000, Heliotrope Smith wrote:

What amendment number do you have?

Mine is 16116 5 January 2006.

It would seem that of our copies has been superseded.

Yes. mine. You're looking at the amended version (which ahem!
coincidentally would seem to be the version floating around as a bootleg
in torrentspace :-)). I was looking at the un-amended 2004 version. The
newer version has the para of interes flagged a having been changed by
the amendment:

[A1 11.1.3 A gas hob shall be connected to the termination point by
means of rigid pipework or, unless stated otherwise in the
manufacturers instructions, a flexible connector and self-sealing plug
device conforming to BS 669-1.A1]

(I wonder if that's what they intended originally and someone just got
it gasp! wrong?)

That is quite some ammendment. We have gone from don't unless the
manufacturers say you must to do what you like unless the manufacturers
say what you must do.