Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
James Waldby James Waldby is offline

Default Help: How to Make a Gang Saw

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 23:24:45 -0800, Searcher7 wrote:
On Feb 7, 2:12Â*am, "RAM³" wrote:
Searcher7 wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking:

I need to cut soft metals into strips and also groove wood and
plastics for several projects, and it seems that the only plausible
way to make these cuts consistent and accurate is to use a gang saw.

How wide will the material be, how widely spaced will be the cuts, and
how narrow the kerfs?

As for the metal strips, I'd like to get close to the .156" width of
some PCB traces I'll be working with.(I can clip them to whatever length
I'll need).

And the grooves in wood/plastic are to be wide enough to accommodate
those strips, and have the same .156" spacing between the grooves.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

You might get better help if you briefly say what the desired end-result
is. Are you trying to make a selector switch, a cross-switch, a
motherboard? For reasons such as low cost, reliable connections, and
being able to swap boards quickly, the usual approach is to make a PCB
(see eg http://www.olimex.com/pcb/index.html or http://www.4pcb.com/
http://www.pcbexpress.com/) and populate it with edge connectors like
http://www.jammaboards.com/store/56-...or/prod_9.html .
Also you can cut a connector like that parallel to the midline to get
a piece with 28 exposed contacts on .156" centers, or if saw is quite
thin, two pieces.

--
jiw