Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Hoosierpopi Hoosierpopi is offline

Default Help: How to Make a Gang Saw

On Feb 7, 11:56*am, Searcher7 wrote:

While you obviously have a clear understanding of your finished work -
we do not share that advantage.

Instead of asking how to create a gang saw, it migh prove more helpful
to first try and share details of your objectives.

It is possible to create an "indexing jig (INCRA comes to mind) that
might allow for thirty repeated cuts.

But I would like to know the result you are trying to achieve e.g. a
1/4" thick sheet of plastic five inches square with 30 evenly-spaced
grooves each 1/64" deep and 1/64" wide centered on the material ETC.
ETC. How many peices you need to produce would also help

As to the metal strips, the length, width and thickness would help.

I have seen strips of brass, copper steel and aluminum at Ace and
(well-stocked) Hobby stores. It might well be true that teh company
that makes this material could supply you with a roll of material of
the desired width and thickness leaving you with only the grooving
task.

If, I understand our goal/objective the grooves are but deep enough to
accommodate a thin sliver of metal (inlaid!?), I have seen small
cutter wheels (2 - 2.5" dia) that could be mounted on a keyed shaft in
such a way as to allow you a "ganged" saw without the "flexing" issues
suggested in anther's reply. And, a combination of indexing and fewer
(15?) cutting wheels that could allow you room to add a support arbor
in the center of the "gang" to reduce the potential of "flexing" still
further.

While the $20,000 laser cutting setup is simply out of the question,
that forum might allow you to "meet" someone with that (or and even
"better" system willing to fabricate your part at a most reasonable
price - espeacially good option if its a "one off" or only a few are
needed.

Good luck