Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
CW[_2_] CW[_2_] is offline

Default Help: How to Make a Gang Saw

"Searcher7" wrote in message
On Feb 7, 2:49 pm, whit3rd wrote:
On Feb 6, 11:24 pm, Searcher7 wrote:

I need to cut soft metals into strips and also groove wood and
plastics

As for the metal strips, I'd like to get close to the .156" width of
some PCB traces

Two ways to get metal strips this thickness, a shear (just a
flat plate and a guillotine blade), with limited length of
strip (I've seen 5 foot wide throats, though). Or, a rotary
device (not sure what the name is), consisting of a top roller
with small/large/small...diameters opposed to
a bottom roller with large/small/large... diameters, both rollers
geared to rotate together.

You lost me. This is about width, not thickness. I need to get
accurate and consistent results, which cannot be done with the tools
you are referring to. Upon visual inspection, each strip must be the
same width. With your way there is no way to be accurate throughout
the length of the cut, or from one strip to the next. And your strips
would also be deformed at the edges along their length.

Either of these tools is fully capable of what you want though I think you
are over complicating this. You did not specify the material type or
thickness, nor did you specify the length or depth of the wooden part. This
calls for some assumptions on my part. Since you spoke of circuit board
traces, I'm assuming that you are going to use copper, probably less that
..010 thick. This can be bought in rolls in any width you want. As for the
wood, it can be grooved on the router table quite accurately and quickly.