Posted to alt.home.repair
Sac Dave Sac Dave is offline

Default Pressure relief valve

"Chuck" wrote in message
What is the purpose of the pressure relief valve that is installed in the
water line coming into my house. It is on my side of the water meter.
There is some sort of an adjustment on the end of it and an opening for
water to escape on the bottom of the device.
Does it actually control the pressure coming into the house? If so, how
can I adjust it to cut the pressure down in my house. I have called the
water department and they have assured me that it is my problem because
"our pressure is always correct".
Water does come out of the relief valve from time to time and gets things
wet in the area it is in. The "plumber" at Home Depot said to put a plug
in the hole to stop the water from coming out.
I have noticed that the pressure is higher in the mid afternoon. Probably
cause no one is home in the neighborhood.
I don't know what the actual pressure is because I don't have a meter in
line.
Anybody have any ideas? Chuck B.

What I did at my house is put a prseure gauge on one of the hose bib after
the PRV I was getting 80psi if you watch the psi will raise very slowly
Thermal expansion. If you check your pressure you will need to get some
fittings, P-gauge as I said earlier a plumbing supply could set you up but
maybe the local water department might check for free. Some PRV blow water
off there basically a safety device to keep you from having problems with
Water closet and fixtures in your house. I have also piped waste lines from
PRV to drains and floor sinks ( mostly in high rises were booster pumps are
used) I really don't think you have a problem if you do notice you water
closets running your pressure might to high then you might need to adjust
the PRV . Now if you do get a gauge to test your Pres. you want to check the
pressure when you using water mines at 80psi but when the water is running
it drops down to about 60PSI.