Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck[_3_] Chuck[_3_] is offline

Default Pressure relief valve

Harry K wrote:
On Feb 7, 4:39 am, Chuck wrote:
Sac Dave wrote:
"Chuck" wrote in message
What is the purpose of the pressure relief valve that is installed in the
water line coming into my house. It is on my side of the water meter.
There is some sort of an adjustment on the end of it and an opening for
water to escape on the bottom of the device.
Does it actually control the pressure coming into the house? If so, how
can I adjust it to cut the pressure down in my house. I have called the
water department and they have assured me that it is my problem because
"our pressure is always correct".
Water does come out of the relief valve from time to time and gets things
wet in the area it is in. The "plumber" at Home Depot said to put a plug
in the hole to stop the water from coming out.
I have noticed that the pressure is higher in the mid afternoon. Probably
cause no one is home in the neighborhood.
I don't know what the actual pressure is because I don't have a meter in
line.
Anybody have any ideas? Chuck B.
First you should realize the plumber at home depot is an idiot. The device
is just a pressure regulator. The city pressure is most likely is to high it
might fluctuate at times. It could also be caused by thermal expansion hot
water will expand can cause the pressure to raise . The water is just
pressure being released the adjustment nut dose regulate the pressure best
bet is to leave it alone. you could check the pressure at a hose bib a
plumbing supply could set you up. I would not be to concerned unless it's
blowing off a lot of water the PRV might need to be replaced .

Thanks for your sensible answer. I am in South Fl. so heat expansion
is a possibility. I will check the pressure at the hose bib. (had not thought of
that option.) CB- Hide quoted text -

It may be, as suggested earlier, a combination Pressure RELIEF and
Pressure Reducer. That is the only way I can see it having both an
adjusting screw (moder Pressure Reliefs don't have one) and an
overboard dump.

Checking the pressure at a hose bib you have to be sure the hose bib
is prior to the PRV to get system pressure and then after the PRV to
get house pressure.

To avoid the water "leakage", replace that vavle with a new one but
you will need to install a surge tank also as the new PRV will not
allow reverse flow.

Harry K

Harry K

Hose bib is after the PRV. I will post the model and or name of the device
latter today. To describe it better: It is T shaped. Right T bar is dial with
knarled knob. Left T bar connects to main water pipe (incoming water). Bottom of
T is open, threaded (female) where water drips out fairly fast.

water /
/
/
/