Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
DanG DanG is offline

Default How to Make a Gang Saw

Several people have tried to tell you cut the thin stuff with a
rolling shear or a tool like a Kett shear. A slitter would also
give you long controlled cuts. I don't know what PCB traces are,
so it leaves me a bit in the dark. Here is one that will cut 5/32
strips 4 at a time, depending on your material:
http://www.earthguild.com/products/rug/stripcut.htm
if your blades are set up really well, the same saw set up could
cut the groove and the inlays, but it will waste a lot of your PCB
trace material.

The gang saw part sounds strange, but one idea that comes to mind
would be to use woodworking slot cutter router bit blades. There
is one listed at 5/32 = .15625.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...s/bt_slot.html

I think most any other idea would require custom made blades to
get the width slot you seek. The next problem would be the
spacers, but standard washers come to mind to start. The shaft
and the driving motor are another matter. The proper size drill
rod sized to the slot cutter's bore might make an arbor. It would
need a stop collar and I would think you could cut threads for a
nut to pressure the blades. A pillow block at each end or even
the shaft mounted in hard wood blocks for experimenting might
work. As others have said, at some point there will be too much
flex in the shaft. Might be driven by pulley and small motor or
even run directly by router or drill. Just a few thoughts to get
you started. I assume you are talking about some shallow grooves.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Searcher7" wrote in message
I need to cut soft metals into strips and also groove wood and
plastics for several projects, and it seems that the only
plausible
way to make these cuts consistent and accurate is to use a gang
saw.

Unless there are readily available "kits" for something like
this, can
anyone direct me to a "how to" on making these?(I'll need to
make 30
cuts/grooves at a time).

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris