Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Todd Rich Todd Rich is offline

Default Need step pulley source + update.

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 04:31:06 +0000 (UTC), Todd Rich
wrote:

(snip)
Now that is a damn fine idea! I've already got a 1 HP inverter rated
motor that I'm not using at the moment. (I was going to make a buffer out
of it, but I can use the motor I'm pulling off of the mill for that.) I'd
have to get 2 more pulleys, but all told, it'll still probably be cheaper
and a lot more flexible setup.

Id suggest a 2:1 pully ratio unless you are going to be turning at 5000
rpm a lot. This is on an Excello mill, right? It has a 2 speed head
(high/low) and a step change pulley set?

Actually, it is a WWII vintage Index Model 40 vertical mill. I think you
have one of them too. I've been taking a few pictures and they are he
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...in3/shop/mill/
And I've currently got a 3:1 ratio on the mill right now. 2 1/3" on the
motor, and about 7" on the middle step. I'll probably replace the other 2
step pulley with a 7" single step when I switch to the VFD. Btw, please
excuse the horrible shape of the mill, it sat for 3 years in a leaky
garage while I was unable to find a drier place for it. Here is how it is
set up as of tonight.
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...ill/shop08.png And it
is sounding a lot better and the cut was much nicer.

Whats wrong with using the existing motor?

Well, nothing specifically, though it did sit in bad conditions as
mentioned above. But it is a 110V 1HP motor, single phase, and I really
haven't found any VFDs that are 1HP, 1ph in and 1ph out. I'm sure they
exist, but I'd need to be pointed to them as my google-fu is failing me.

The other motor I have is 220V 1HP 3ph, rated for inverter usage, and good
up to 5000rpm, with a dataplate speed of 1700rpm. However, while it is a
56 frame, it is a 56C, so I'd need to cut some notches in the web on the
mounting frame to get it to fit. (Current mount he
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...ill/shop03.png )

The two motors are both Marathon. The old one is catalog F104, and the
new one is Y535.
http://www.marathonelectric.com/MMPS...em=056C17F5327
http://www.marathonelectric.com/MMPS...em=056H17T5302

So, one fits nice, but I haven't been able to find a VFD that will run it,
and the other I have no problem finding the VFD to run it, but I'd have to
modify the mount.

(snip)

Let me know if you need any close up pictures of the power hammer. I got
a new camera as part of getting employee of the month where I work, and
I'm having fun with it.

Best wishes.

Post em in the drop box for all to see.

Well, I'll probably use photobucket for the moment as I'm used to it. If
the resolution is too small, on the ones here, let me know. I'm taking
them at 12 megapixels, and then resizing them to under 1MB each for easy
your connection.

Ive been walking about in my shop the last couple days, rather
aimlessly..boredom is already setting in..the pain isnt very bad..least
managable for me..shrug...but that 10lb weight limit and the chest
popping and cracking whenever I pick up anything heavier than a dust
brush is a bit...spooky.

I can understand that.

And Ive got that old Larios Horizontal miller next up on line for
restoration..and the two motor cycles..and the F163 Continental
engine.....sigh....I hate being incapable..physically when Ive got so
damned much to do.

Gunner

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.
Todd