Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pressure relief valve

On Feb 7, 3:21*am, BobK207 wrote:
On Feb 6, 9:13*pm, "Sac Dave" wrote:

First you should realize the plumber at home depot is an idiot. The device
is just a pressure regulator. The city pressure is most likely is to high it
might fluctuate at times. It could also be caused by thermal expansion hot
water will expand can cause the pressure to raise . The water is just
pressure being released the *adjustment nut dose regulate the pressure best
bet is to leave it alone. you could check the pressure at a hose bib a
plumbing supply could set you up. I would not be to concerned unless it's
blowing off a lot of water the PRV might need to be replaced .

I was under the impression that pressure reducing valves for domestic
water supplies do not dump water overboard. *

That's right they don't. If they relied on dumping water, just think
what that would mean. If it was set at 60 and the municipal supply
went to 65, how much water would it have to dump? Potentially, it
could spew water all day. Plus, there is no need to dump water to
regulate pressure.

The Watts units I have
installed reduce water pressure to the house but dont dump any water.

Pressure relief valves do dump at times. *PRV can be instead of
expansion tanks (depending how your local folks prefer it done) *or
they can be vestigial PRV's from when TP valves did not come standard
on water heaters.

Per Sac Dave's comment I would suggest that the OP not simply plug the
output.

I wouldn't either, at least until he understands exactly what he
has. Picture? Manufacturer's name, markings?