Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Pressure relief valve

On Feb 6, 5:27*pm, Chuck wrote:
What is the purpose of the pressure relief valve that is installed in the water
line coming into my house. It is on my side of the water meter. There is some
sort of an adjustment on the end of it and an opening for water to escape on the
bottom of the device.
Does it actually control the pressure coming into the house? If so, how can I
adjust it to cut the pressure down in my house. I have called the water
department and they have assured me that it is my problem because "our pressure
is always correct".
Water does come out of the relief valve from time to time and gets things wet in
the area it is in. The "plumber" at Home Depot said to put a plug in the hole to
stop the water from coming out.
I have noticed that the pressure is higher in the mid afternoon. Probably cause
no one is home in the neighborhood.
I don't know what the actual pressure is because I don't have a meter in line.
Anybody have any ideas? * * Chuck B.

How about a photo of it and all the hardware at the service entrance
at your house?

How old is your house & was the plumbing system ever updated to modern
spec?
Do you have a pressure regulator?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-WATTS-3-4-WA...QQcmdZViewItem

Does you system have a back flow preventer ? Dual check valve?
Is is a sealed / one way system? Do you have an expansion tank?

If you have a "sealed" system (ie no back flow allowed) and do not
have an expansion tank......the relief valve will dump water on
occasion to prevent excessive pressure in your domestic water plumbing
due to cold to hot water expansion. When you water heater is
refilled with cold water & that water is heated...it expands. If you
have back flow prevention system you need an expansion tank OR a
relief valve.

Does the relief valve look like this?

http://www.wscdirect.net/servlet/the...STABLE,/Detail

If you're only dumping a few gallons per day (SWAG) I'd say everything
is working fine.

Why do you think your water pressure is too high? Get a water
pressure gage at the hardware store & mount it on a convenient hose
bid...check & log the pressure.

cheers
Bob