Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Phil Again Phil Again is offline

Default Help: How to Make a Gang Saw

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 22:34:47 -0800, Searcher7 wrote:

I need to cut soft metals into strips and also groove wood and plastics
for several projects, and it seems that the only plausible way to make
these cuts consistent and accurate is to use a gang saw.

Unless there are readily available "kits" for something like this, can
anyone direct me to a "how to" on making these?(I'll need to make 30
cuts/grooves at a time).

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Darren:

This sounds like a manufacturing setup. Production setup. There will be
lots and lots of things that this text-only newsgroup will be unable to
communicate. Your cuts / grooves are going to be too close together and
you might introduce minor flex on the gang saw shaft due to cutting
resistance of 30 cutters on a single shaft, IMHO. What level of
tolerances must your setup hold to?

Plus you are going to have to insure the stock material does not shift
while cutting; either lock the material down and move the cutters and
shaft, or setup some sort movable bed that holds the stock. Either way
it could get expensive. Really expensive. (Unless you have your own
machine shop of course.)

Have you considered a laser cutting/engraving ?

sawmillcreek.org (note the dot org) is a forum that has a sub-section on
laser engravers and CNC cutting. For about $20,000 you can get a good
wood / plastics laser cutting / engraving CNC rig. (Please, let that
forum suggest you what rigs, add-ons, makers, and costs.) You can have a
setup that will be *A LOT SLOWER* than a dedicated gang saw workstation,
but you will end up with the accuracy, repeatability, and consistency you
seem to be looking for. Maybe not ISO 9000 quality control consistency
at the $20,000 investment level, but close enough.

All said and done, maybe even a cheaper overall investment for your
enterprise.

Best of luck, and I hope others have other advise.

Phil