Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Winterburn Doug Winterburn is offline

Default Replacing kitchen floor

Leon wrote:
"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
Upscale wrote:

The major problem with re-flooring a kitchen with a thick(er) material
around existing cabinets is the flipping dishwasher. DAMHIKT

This is something to consider however I have redone kitchens and have seen
kitchens with added tile to the existing cabinets. 90% of the time the
dishwasher comes out with out problems. You typically accomplish this by
screwing in the front adjustment feet all the way and pulling it out. Once
the front is out the back comes out pretty easily. Tall tiles or thick wood
flooring may make this a bit harder but new home construction basically goes
with the cabinets, then floor/counter top, then the appliances. Typically
the appliances go in last so that they don't mysteriously disappear.

I agree. The situation I had was moving into a house that had the
kitchen floor redone with tile. The dishwasher needed to be replaced
when the issue came up. Even with the front legs screwed all the way
up, it was necessary to loosen the screws from under the cabinet fronts
and pry the counter top loose. This wasn't easy as the counter tops had
also been set in a silicone glue in addition to the screws. The
alternative would have been removing the tiles directly in front of the
dishwasher, but they were a 10" variety that I could find no
replacements for and I knew I would break them in removal. It all
worked out in the end, but my vocabulary was somewhat increased.