Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stuart Fields Stuart Fields is offline

Default O.T. but interesting video: The Brits want their guns back

wrote in message
On Feb 5, 12:26 am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 02:52:59 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 00:57:15 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Feb 4, 1:38 pm, "Stuart Fields" wrote:
Here is a website with a video that shows what at least a number of
Brits
think about their "Benevolent" governments disarming them. Note the
increased crime rate that is similar to that reported in Australia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTq2NEUlhDE

What increased crime rate in Australia? - reference please.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Lets try these....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-DaF-sopE8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQoQTdVlxkA

Same video.....different titles. This is one that is going to be hard
for the Brits to remove from YouTube...its everywhere.

I think he wanted something more like this, Gunner:

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusi...raliaguns.html

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=21902

Fromhttp://www.nraila.org/issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=78

Australia -- Licensing of gun owners was imposed in 1973, each handgun
requires a separate license, and self-defense is not considered a
legitimate reason to have a firearm. Registration of firearms was
imposed in 1985. In May 1996 semi-automatic center-fire rifles and
many semi-automatic and pump-action shotguns were prohibited. As of
Oct. 2000, about 660,000 privately owned firearms had been confiscated
and destroyed. However, according to the Australian Institute of
Criminology, between 1996-1998 assaults rose 16 percent, armed
robberies rose 73 percent, and unlawful entries rose eight percent.
Murders increased slightly in 1997 and decreased slightly in 1998.
(Jacob Sullum, "Guns down under," Reason, Australia, p. 10, 10/1/00)
For more information on Australian crime trends,
seewww.nraila.org/research/20000329-BanningGuns-001.shtml.

http://www.stormfront.org/forum/arch...p/t-69835.html

http://www.gunsandcrime.org/auresult.html

So, what do you say, Andrew?

--
Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what
to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.

I say "Wow...thats pretty amazing" - glad to see the Yanks keep tab on
whats happening here, I had no real interest and would have thought
that if it was that bad, it would be on the news as a lead
item......after all, cats stuck up trees get on the evening news....

And Dons right - you used a firehouse, I stand corrected - although
why do I feel the need to get out my ancient copy of "How to Lie with
Statistics"......

And, being a right cynical kinda guy, I didnt bother to look at
Gunners references,,but did Google NRAILA -and found...

Its the American NRA, what credibility it has with reference to
Australia? - I don't know, but several references, notably Wikipedia,
claim that the geographically challenged NRA "research" people got
confused between Austria and Australia....easy to do , its only
spelling and whats the difference anyway....

So - this will drag on for ever, Gunner abstracting references of
dubious quality but voluminous quantity, some of you unquestioning
anything you read that supports your particular hobby horse - not just
for guns, but for any subject. (not that I would ever do anything like
that, oh no....g)

someone tells you something, you question it
someone gives you information hand written, you question it.
if its a computer printout, it must be true.
if its on the internet.....what happened to the Bull**** Filters, why
do they get turned off all the time?

Andrew VK3BFA.

Andrew: I agree not to take every thing output by computer as gospel.
However, think about it. Taking guns from law abiding citizens does little
if anything to disarm the non law abiding citizens. That makes just common
sense. If the statistics agree with common sense and everyday experience,
then just maybe the statistics are providing a numerical measure of what
common sense implies.
Other examples of ill thought out legal actions: Making booze illegal in
the US only generated a new illegal industry. Making drugs illegal has done
the same thing. Making private ownership of guns will do the same thing.
People who do not respect the laws aren't going to worry about it being
illegal to have one. Dis-arming private citizens, in my mind makes them
softer targets for crooks.

Stu