Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default OT...I guess - Dryer Timer

Mikepier wrote in
:

On Jan 20, 8:26*pm, Red Green wrote:
If the timer on an old electric dryer is not advancing I suume it's
time

replace it, aka not really servicable?

Damn things are a hundred bucks typically. This one's discontinued
even.

If you put the dryer on the "timed" cycle, and if the timer still does
not advance, then yes, something with the timer.
If you are mechanically inclined, you can remove the timer assembly
and remove the actual timer, apply 110V and see if it works. If it
doesn't, the timer motor is shot. If you get lucky sometimes you can
buy just the timer motor and not the whole timer assembly.
But if you find that the timer does work in the "timed" cycle, that
means that the circuitry in the other cycles are faulty, possible bad
t-stat, because the T-stat actually tells when the timer to start
advancing.

The dryer is actually at my youngin's place. I was over and see that the
timer is mechanically ticking as it always did but it does not advance in
any setting - timed, auto, etc. I assume something is physically broken
inside it. Like I said, it dries fine so I'm not eager to take it apart
doing exploratory surgery. If I trash it totally, a new one is not even
an option since it's obsolete.