Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT...I guess - Dryer Timer

If the timer on an old electric dryer is not advancing I suume it's time to
replace it, aka not really servicable?

Damn things are a hundred bucks typically. This one's discontinued even.
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Red Green wrote:

If the timer on an old electric dryer is not advancing I suume it's time to
replace it, aka not really servicable?

Damn things are a hundred bucks typically. This one's discontinued even.

It depends. On my Maytag, the timer only runs while the gas is on. So
a failure in that circuit can look like a dead timer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

CJT wrote:

Red Green wrote:

If the timer on an old electric dryer is not advancing I suume it's
time to replace it, aka not really servicable?

Damn things are a hundred bucks typically. This one's discontinued even.

It depends. On my Maytag, the timer only runs while the gas is on. So
a failure in that circuit can look like a dead timer.

Oops! Now I see you say it's an electric dryer. :-)

It still might only run when the dryer's hot, though, so have a look
at the schematic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

CJT wrote in :

Red Green wrote:

If the timer on an old electric dryer is not advancing I suume it's
time to replace it, aka not really servicable?

Damn things are a hundred bucks typically. This one's discontinued
even.

It depends. On my Maytag, the timer only runs while the gas is on.
So a failure in that circuit can look like a dead timer.

Well, now I have another problem. I don't know where to hook up the gas to
my electric dryer :-)

(I saw your "Oops" but couldn't resist)
Posted to alt.home.repair

CJT wrote in :

CJT wrote:

Red Green wrote:

If the timer on an old electric dryer is not advancing I suume it's
time to replace it, aka not really servicable?

Damn things are a hundred bucks typically. This one's discontinued
even.

It depends. On my Maytag, the timer only runs while the gas is on.
So a failure in that circuit can look like a dead timer.

Oops! Now I see you say it's an electric dryer. :-)

It still might only run when the dryer's hot, though, so have a look
at the schematic.

I failed to mention it's working and drying clothes fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 8:26*pm, Red Green wrote:
If the timer on an old electric dryer is not advancing I suume it's time to
replace it, aka not really servicable?

Damn things are a hundred bucks typically. This one's discontinued even.

If you put the dryer on the "timed" cycle, and if the timer still does
not advance, then yes, something with the timer.
If you are mechanically inclined, you can remove the timer assembly
and remove the actual timer, apply 110V and see if it works. If it
doesn't, the timer motor is shot. If you get lucky sometimes you can
buy just the timer motor and not the whole timer assembly.
But if you find that the timer does work in the "timed" cycle, that
means that the circuitry in the other cycles are faulty, possible bad
t-stat, because the T-stat actually tells when the timer to start
advancing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
If the timer on an old electric dryer is not advancing I suume it's
time to replace it, aka not really servicable?

Damn things are a hundred bucks typically. This one's discontinued
even.

While you're waiting for a free dryer to show up on Craigslist, you can get
a $10 appliance timer from Walmart or Radio Shack and jury-rig something.

I think I'd use a $2 oven timer. When it went "ding," I'd go take the
clothes out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote in
:

[...]

The dryer is actually at my youngin's place. I was over and see that the
timer is mechanically ticking as it always did but it does not advance in
any setting - timed, auto, etc. I assume something is physically broken
inside it. Like I said, it dries fine so I'm not eager to take it apart
doing exploratory surgery. If I trash it totally, a new one is not even
an option since it's obsolete.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Mikepier wrote in
:

[...]

Hi,
They used to rebuilt timers. I wonder they wtill do. You turn in the bad
one for exchange. Caqn you turn the knob with hand easily like normal?
The gear train may have been stripped. Worth taking a look.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
If the timer on an old electric dryer is not advancing I suume it's time to
replace it, aka not really servicable?

Damn things are a hundred bucks typically. This one's discontinued even.

Try these folks:

http://www.thisoldappliance.com/

TDD