Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] bsa441@gmail.com is offline

Default Cold weather experience with Titebond III?

On Feb 3, 10:32*am, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
I think you just got lucky in the past. The chalking temp is pretty
well established and maybe just a humidty or other factor changed it
by chance.

If you don't want to warm the whole shop, and the projects are small
enough, let the wood and glue sit in the house and warm for a few
hours, take it all into the shop for glue-up and return it back to the
house to setup. Even just the warmth of a mud room, etc is probably
enough.

On Jan 31, 9:25*am, wrote:

My gara... shop is unheated, except for the heat that bleeds from the
house, and wintertime woodworking in Seattle, although not quite as
rugged as in the Northeast, can be a bit chilly. *Nonetheless, I have
glued up projects in temperatures colder than the minimum stated on
Titebond I many times, and have never had a glueline fail. *I have
seen the chalking you would expect from glue that's too cold, but only
on the squeezeout.

However, this year I decided to try Titebond III, in part because it
has a lower working temperature than Titebond I. *To my surprise, I
had a couple of joints fail, even though I was gluing at around the
minimum working temperature, 45 deg. F. *Has anyone else experienced
this, or did I mess up some other factor, like starving the joint, or
maybe not having the surfaces in tight-enough contact?

Good suggestions, all. Man, I wish I had a mud room! Or near
Seattle, where I am, a pine-needle room!