Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Replacing kitchen floor

Upscale wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message
What advantage is there in spending extra money on something that you will
never see?

I don't agree. Once you go that route, you're locked into the exact
placement of those cabinets. What happens if you want to put in new cabinets
some time in the future? Unlikely they'd be the same size and shape. You'd
be trying to hide areas where you didn't install flooring.

And certainly on a new build, it's much easier to install an entire floor
than to take the time to modify and cut flooring to fit around cabinets
installed before the flooring. Just doesn't make any sense. Maybe as a
contractor, get the job done and get out, possibly. For something I'd build
for my own use, certainly not.

Doesn't it depend on the situation? Flooring used to be a major
expense, and it was something that could be resurfaced/refinished.

Now it seems to be something that is changed like lighting fixtures,
whenever a new fad or style comes out, or when the walls are painted.

Seems to me, if someone is putting down linoleum or cardboard
"hardwood," they're not the type of person who's going to care about the
flooring going under the cabinets... or even dishwasher for that matter.

Depends on the customer, doesn't it? We've all had instances where our
trying to convert the customer into someone who respects quality and
craftsmanship the way we do, only comes across, to them, as us trying to
increase the price of the job.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)