Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Need step pulley source + update.

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 04:31:06 +0000 (UTC), Todd Rich
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
(snip)
put in another keyway at 180 degrees from the original. If its pot
metal, a bit of file work will do it easily enough.

Hmm..

Be sure to check the shaft for keyway wear as well. If it also has wear,
simply turn 90" and install a new key, or dremel the keyway mostly
square, cut a custom key, and match the keyway in the pulley.

I do this all the time with BPs. Particularly on the J2 heads..variable
speed when the client is too damned cheap to have the shaft machined and
new keys put in.

(snip)

Has anyone suggested a couple generic pullies and a VFD?

Now that is a damn fine idea! I've already got a 1 HP inverter rated
motor that I'm not using at the moment. (I was going to make a buffer out
of it, but I can use the motor I'm pulling off of the mill for that.) I'd
have to get 2 more pulleys, but all told, it'll still probably be cheaper
and a lot more flexible setup.

Id suggest a 2:1 pully ratio unless you are going to be turning at 5000
rpm a lot. This is on an Excello mill, right? It has a 2 speed head
(high/low) and a step change pulley set?

Whats wrong with using the existing motor?

Thank you!

And since I haven't mentioned it, glad to see you pulled through this time
too.

Thanks mate.

Let me know if you need any close up pictures of the power hammer. I got
a new camera as part of getting employee of the month where I work, and
I'm having fun with it.

Best wishes.

Post em in the drop box for all to see.

Ive been walking about in my shop the last couple days, rather
aimlessly..boredom is already setting in..the pain isnt very bad..least
managable for me..shrug...but that 10lb weight limit and the chest
popping and cracking whenever I pick up anything heavier than a dust
brush is a bit...spooky.

And Ive got that old Larios Horizontal miller next up on line for
restoration..and the two motor cycles..and the F163 Continental
engine.....sigh....I hate being incapable..physically when Ive got so
damned much to do.

Gunner

"Not so old as to need virgins to excite him,
nor old enough to have the patience to teach one."

Just try not to catch cold or inhale dust. Sneezing is no fun at all!!

Don Young